- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
According to everyday chiropractic website (www.everydaychiropractic.com), in 2014 there were over 7,000 car accidents causing injury on Alberta roads due to snow and inclement conditions. Many of the injuries including whiplash can have far reaching consequences. Chiropractic care can be an excellent way to treat whiplash injuries after an motor vehicle accident.
What is Whiplash and how is it caused?
Whiplash occurs when a sudden, jarring movement of the head is sustained backward, forward or to the side. It can occur at high speeds or even in sudden changes of speed of only 4 kilometers per hour. Whiplash destabilizes the spine and causes severe pain, as well as these other indicators:
- Blurred vision
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Reduced range of motion in the neck
- Arm pain
- Neck stiffness
- Low back pain
Sometimes the effects of whiplash are not felt immediately and the symptoms may take days, weeks or even months to show up. That is why it is important to see a chiropractor as soon as you can after a car accident. If left untreated, whiplash can evolve into long-term pain.
How can my Chiropractor help with whiplash?
The appropriate chiropractic treatment is unique to each whiplash injury. The most common treatments include:
- Manually adjusting the spine/neck/joints
- Muscle relation and/or stimulation
- Exercises designed to reduce disc derangement or train the nervous system to better coordinate and control movement patterns
- ergonomic and lifestyle changes to limit habits or activities that may be amplifying the effects of whiplash
Coverage for Treatment
Your auto insurance covers you for a minimum of 10 chiropractic treatments for minor injuries under the Alberta Diagnostics Treatment Protocols Regulation. This means you are entitled to see your chiropractor at no charge to you regardless of who was at fault in your accident. For more information or to book an assessment, please call our clinic at 403-309-2292.